[AER-Board] August 1, 2014 AER Board Meeting "Highlights" and AER Canadian members' Conference Highglights, plus an INVITATION

DG
Deborah Gold
Thu, Aug 14, 2014 9:19 PM

Hello Canadian Members of AER International! [cid:image002.png@01CFB7E3.EB58FA90]

I wanted to let you know some AER news updates specifically relevant for us Canadians.

  1. On Friday August 1, at 7:30 a.m, I hosted the Breakfast of Champions! Actually, no, I hosted the #mapleleafforever Breakfast, that is, the Canadian attendees' Breakfast. Everyone happily wore their Canadiana garb, and several enthusiastically brought with them many items as table décor and prize give-aways. In fact, we had so much we were able to make up a superb Canadiana gift basket for the AER Silent Auction, which sold for $35!!

We had 14 attendees come for fun, coffee, fruit and muffins, hosted within our breakfast room. We held a brainstorming session about what kinds of things we as an organization, and as Canadians, could do in order to strengthen the Canadian presence within AER. There was very active and engaged participation from all, and I am pleased to report that the following Canadian organizations were represented, covering a good part of our vast land (in alphabetical order):
Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority, Halifax
B.C. Blind Sports, Vancouver
Canadian Blind Sports, Vancouver
CNIB, the whole country
Deaf-Blind Ontario Services, Toronto
Institut Nazareth Louis-Braille, Montreal
University of British Columbia, Vancouver
University of Montreal, Montreal

Here is a list of answers that were given to the question: how can we strengthen Canadian membership in AER, thus strengthening AER itself, and its ability to help its Canadian members as professionals?

  1. There needs to be a lot more education within organizations/school boards etc. about what is AER! A lot of people who should know, do not.

  2. Students need to be informed of the student discount to join, and university programs need to require membership of their students.

  3. There is a language barrier for French Canadians. There should be alternate language based C.E., within the international conference, and also in the regional conferences, and in webinars: Spanish and French. Materials coming from the AER office for Canadians should also be available in French. The Journal (JVIB) is not accessible to French Canadians and the AER Report should definitely be available in French. There is an entire untapped market because everything is English only.

  4. Look at NE-AER as an example of a successful chapter that combines Canadian provinces and U.S. states...is this possible elsewhere?

  5. Partner with other organizations for C.E. In Atlantic Canada, there was recently a great example of this with the Canadian Vision Teachers' partnership with APSEA and CNIB for a terrific families conference that also educated professionals.

  6. Open up the webinars so that Canadians have an opportunity to suggest topics and to target AER webinars specifically to Canadians.

  7. Ask not 'what can AER do for you?' but "What can (and will) you do for AER?' This means, sending the message: this is YOUR professional association, you are a member of a profession now, how do you want the relationship to work for you? How can you get involved?

  8. We need a Canadian AER project, for example fundraising for a scholarship to encourage entry to the field in Canada, or another project that someone in Canada would suggest (we'll have a brainstorming session soon).

  9. Do we want an AER award that's given to a Canadian every 2 years at the international conference? Given that all the big leaders nominated in the field and receiving awards are to date, Americans, it seems that it makes sense to have an award devoted only for Canadians, and awarded at the awards banquet...this kind of opportunity increases Canadian presence at the conference and makes it clear that much goes on at AER that is of interest to Canadians.

  10.          Educate our youth! Go back to basics, that is back to the very youngest (early high school) years, to instill this as a career option for young people in Canada. Work with the educators at both training programs/universities, to develop a "have you thought of working with persons who are blind or visually impaired?" brochure.

  11.          We need a bilingual Canadian Fact Sheet about AER to include in staff orientation at every organization that hires in all the disciplines.

  12.          And we need to set a goal...for example, how many Canadian members do we want by 2020, when we hope to hold the conference in Canada? 500?

  13.          Lobby to host the 2020 conference in Canada...suggested location: Vancouver, B.C.

B. I attended the face-to-face meeting of the Board of Directors, representing you all, on Friday August 1, from 7 p.m. to 11 pm. The Board tackled a number of key issues that night, rather than leaving them for the new Board. Below from Lou Tutt are highlights of that meeting, including an important one about the 2020 conference, and our request to hold it north of the 49th parallel-yes, here in Canada!!

C. SAVE THE DATE!!!! I would like to invite you ALL to attend a TOWN HALL meeting with our AER Board President, Past President, and Executive Director. Jim Adams (Past-president), Christy Shepard (President), and Lou Tutt (Executive Director). The meeting will take place on:

                                            Thursday September 4

At                                            4:30 PM, Eastern Time (Ontario time)
And Teleconference dial in information will be sent to you prior to the date.
The goal of the teleconference is to create an improved connection between the AER leadership and Canadian members. This is YOUR opportunity to listen (briefly), ask questions and make suggestions or comments about AER.

We look forward to hearing your voices on the call!

Please give some thought to the points above and below...and bring your ideas, suggestions, and concerns with you!

All the very best for the end of your summer...and talk to you on the 4th of September!

Deborah Gold,
AER Board Member, Canadian Representative