FW: [AERNet] Secretary of Education Nomination

AC
Anthony Candela
Wed, Feb 1, 2017 2:11 PM

See below FYI.  Just yesterday Matt and I talked about calling a meeting, asking AER President Joe Catavero to join us.  We are not used to coming out with strong recommendations nor do we have a regular and reliable way of gauging member opinion, so I've followed our Committee's agreement about current strategy: exhort members to voice their opinions to their representatives and visit the Hill when possible and state no polarized positions.  If this approach which I chose to expose a little in my message to membership this morning is too weak, we will need committee, leadership, and board approval and probably a few more tools than we have at hand to be "stronger".

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Penny Reeder [mailto:penny.reeder@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 8:13 AM
To: Anthony Candela
Subject: Re: [AERNet] Secretary of Education Nomination

Why -- in the name of all that AER stands for -- would AER not oppose this disastrous nomination? This nominee stands opposed to all that AER stands for ourselves and it is virtually certain that she would reverse policies and approaches that have guaranteed children who are blind and visually impaired a free, appropriate public education since
1990 -- and even before that!

Did you consult your members when you crafted such a weak response to what will be a disaster for children, families, and the field you work in should Devas be confirmed?

I am personally and professionally and in every other way appalled!

Sincerely,
Penny Reeder

On 2/1/17, Anthony Candela acandela@juno.com wrote:

Yesterday, with a 12-11 vote, Betsy DeVos, President Trump's nominee
to be the next Secretary of the federal Department of Education, was
voted favorably out of the Senate HELP (Health, Education, Labor and
Pensions) Committee and now advances to the Floor to the U.S. Senate
for a final vote.
Your AER Legislative Committee in an e-mail post to the Chair of the
HELP Committee (Lamar Alexander) and its leading Democrat (Patty
Murray) asked the Committee to ensure that Mrs. DeVos is committed to
IDEA.  As you know, the integrity of IDEA depends on a strong public
school system.  Nominee DeVos is best-known for her championing of
vouchers for parents to send their children to private schools.  Mrs.
DeVos has testified she will uphold the integrity of IDEA and the
public schools.

Your Legislative Committee urges you, no matter which side of an issue
you may be on, to communicate with your Senators and Representatives
on issues of importance to you and to take part in visits to the Hill
whenever possible. There will be such an opportunity just prior to the
next AFB Leadership conference in March.

Anthony R. Candela

Co-Chair, AER Legislative Committee

Rehabilitation Administrator/Consultant

(510) 912-0969

Warning: Don't Use Probiotics Before You See This Gundry MD
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5891c1156bb5a41153397st01duc

See below FYI. Just yesterday Matt and I talked about calling a meeting, asking AER President Joe Catavero to join us. We are not used to coming out with strong recommendations nor do we have a regular and reliable way of gauging member opinion, so I've followed our Committee's agreement about current strategy: exhort members to voice their opinions to their representatives and visit the Hill when possible and state no polarized positions. If this approach which I chose to expose a little in my message to membership this morning is too weak, we will need committee, leadership, and board approval and probably a few more tools than we have at hand to be "stronger". Tony -----Original Message----- From: Penny Reeder [mailto:penny.reeder@gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 8:13 AM To: Anthony Candela Subject: Re: [AERNet] Secretary of Education Nomination Why -- in the name of all that AER stands for -- would AER not oppose this disastrous nomination? This nominee stands opposed to all that AER stands for ourselves and it is virtually certain that she would reverse policies and approaches that have guaranteed children who are blind and visually impaired a free, appropriate public education since 1990 -- and even before that! Did you consult your members when you crafted such a weak response to what will be a disaster for children, families, and the field you work in should Devas be confirmed? I am personally and professionally and in every other way appalled! Sincerely, Penny Reeder On 2/1/17, Anthony Candela <acandela@juno.com> wrote: > Yesterday, with a 12-11 vote, Betsy DeVos, President Trump's nominee > to be the next Secretary of the federal Department of Education, was > voted favorably out of the Senate HELP (Health, Education, Labor and > Pensions) Committee and now advances to the Floor to the U.S. Senate > for a final vote. > Your AER Legislative Committee in an e-mail post to the Chair of the > HELP Committee (Lamar Alexander) and its leading Democrat (Patty > Murray) asked the Committee to ensure that Mrs. DeVos is committed to > IDEA. As you know, the integrity of IDEA depends on a strong public > school system. Nominee DeVos is best-known for her championing of > vouchers for parents to send their children to private schools. Mrs. > DeVos has testified she will uphold the integrity of IDEA and the > public schools. > > > > Your Legislative Committee urges you, no matter which side of an issue > you may be on, to communicate with your Senators and Representatives > on issues of importance to you and to take part in visits to the Hill > whenever possible. There will be such an opportunity just prior to the > next AFB Leadership conference in March. > > > > Anthony R. Candela > > Co-Chair, AER Legislative Committee > > Rehabilitation Administrator/Consultant > > (510) 912-0969 > > > > ____________________________________________________________ > Warning: Don't Use Probiotics Before You See This Gundry MD > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5891c1156bb5a41153397st01duc
JM
John Mascia
Wed, Feb 1, 2017 2:17 PM

I think we should meet. The question about learning the desire of the membership is important. I do think that one of the most important responsibilities of any organization is to have a way of galvanizing the voice of individuals so that there is strength in numbers.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 1, 2017, at 8:13 AM, Anthony Candela acandela@juno.com wrote:

[...]

I think we should meet. The question about learning the desire of the membership is important. I do think that one of the most important responsibilities of any organization is to have a way of galvanizing the voice of individuals so that there is strength in numbers. Sent from my iPhone > On Feb 1, 2017, at 8:13 AM, Anthony Candela <acandela@juno.com> wrote: > > See below FYI. Just yesterday Matt and I talked about calling a meeting, asking AER President Joe Catavero to join us. We are not used to coming out with strong recommendations nor do we have a regular and reliable way of gauging member opinion, so I've followed our Committee's agreement about current strategy: exhort members to voice their opinions to their representatives and visit the Hill when possible and state no polarized positions. If this approach which I chose to expose a little in my message to membership this morning is too weak, we will need committee, leadership, and board approval and probably a few more tools than we have at hand to be "stronger". > > Tony > > -----Original Message----- > From: Penny Reeder [mailto:penny.reeder@gmail.com] > Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 8:13 AM > To: Anthony Candela > Subject: Re: [AERNet] Secretary of Education Nomination > > Why -- in the name of all that AER stands for -- would AER not oppose this disastrous nomination? This nominee stands opposed to all that AER stands for ourselves and it is virtually certain that she would reverse policies and approaches that have guaranteed children who are blind and visually impaired a free, appropriate public education since > 1990 -- and even before that! > > Did you consult your members when you crafted such a weak response to what will be a disaster for children, families, and the field you work in should Devas be confirmed? > > I am personally and professionally and in every other way appalled! > > Sincerely, > Penny Reeder > >> On 2/1/17, Anthony Candela <acandela@juno.com> wrote: >> Yesterday, with a 12-11 vote, Betsy DeVos, President Trump's nominee >> to be the next Secretary of the federal Department of Education, was >> voted favorably out of the Senate HELP (Health, Education, Labor and >> Pensions) Committee and now advances to the Floor to the U.S. Senate >> for a final vote. >> Your AER Legislative Committee in an e-mail post to the Chair of the >> HELP Committee (Lamar Alexander) and its leading Democrat (Patty >> Murray) asked the Committee to ensure that Mrs. DeVos is committed to >> IDEA. As you know, the integrity of IDEA depends on a strong public >> school system. Nominee DeVos is best-known for her championing of >> vouchers for parents to send their children to private schools. Mrs. >> DeVos has testified she will uphold the integrity of IDEA and the >> public schools. >> >> >> >> Your Legislative Committee urges you, no matter which side of an issue >> you may be on, to communicate with your Senators and Representatives >> on issues of importance to you and to take part in visits to the Hill >> whenever possible. There will be such an opportunity just prior to the >> next AFB Leadership conference in March. >> >> >> >> Anthony R. Candela >> >> Co-Chair, AER Legislative Committee >> >> Rehabilitation Administrator/Consultant >> >> (510) 912-0969 >> >> >> >> ____________________________________________________________ >> Warning: Don't Use Probiotics Before You See This Gundry MD >> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5891c1156bb5a41153397st01duc > > > _______________________________________________ > Legiscom mailing list > Legiscom@lists.aerbvi.org > http://lists.aerbvi.org/mailman/listinfo/legiscom_lists.aerbvi.org
BK
Bernadette Kappen
Wed, Feb 1, 2017 2:21 PM

Hi Tony:

We should meet to discuss this.

Bernadette

--
Confidentiality Notice: This email, including attachments is for the sole
use of the recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged

Hi Tony: We should meet to discuss this. Bernadette -----Original Message----- From: Legiscom [mailto:legiscom-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org] On Behalf Of John Mascia Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 9:17 AM To: Anthony Candela Cc: legiscom@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: Re: [Legiscom] FW: [AERNet] Secretary of Education Nomination I think we should meet. The question about learning the desire of the membership is important. I do think that one of the most important responsibilities of any organization is to have a way of galvanizing the voice of individuals so that there is strength in numbers. Sent from my iPhone > On Feb 1, 2017, at 8:13 AM, Anthony Candela <acandela@juno.com> wrote: > > See below FYI. Just yesterday Matt and I talked about calling a meeting, asking AER President Joe Catavero to join us. We are not used to coming out with strong recommendations nor do we have a regular and reliable way of gauging member opinion, so I've followed our Committee's agreement about current strategy: exhort members to voice their opinions to their representatives and visit the Hill when possible and state no polarized positions. If this approach which I chose to expose a little in my message to membership this morning is too weak, we will need committee, leadership, and board approval and probably a few more tools than we have at hand to be "stronger". > > Tony > > -----Original Message----- > From: Penny Reeder [mailto:penny.reeder@gmail.com] > Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 8:13 AM > To: Anthony Candela > Subject: Re: [AERNet] Secretary of Education Nomination > > Why -- in the name of all that AER stands for -- would AER not oppose > this disastrous nomination? This nominee stands opposed to all that > AER stands for ourselves and it is virtually certain that she would > reverse policies and approaches that have guaranteed children who are > blind and visually impaired a free, appropriate public education since > 1990 -- and even before that! > > Did you consult your members when you crafted such a weak response to what will be a disaster for children, families, and the field you work in should Devas be confirmed? > > I am personally and professionally and in every other way appalled! > > Sincerely, > Penny Reeder > >> On 2/1/17, Anthony Candela <acandela@juno.com> wrote: >> Yesterday, with a 12-11 vote, Betsy DeVos, President Trump's nominee >> to be the next Secretary of the federal Department of Education, was >> voted favorably out of the Senate HELP (Health, Education, Labor and >> Pensions) Committee and now advances to the Floor to the U.S. Senate >> for a final vote. >> Your AER Legislative Committee in an e-mail post to the Chair of the >> HELP Committee (Lamar Alexander) and its leading Democrat (Patty >> Murray) asked the Committee to ensure that Mrs. DeVos is committed to >> IDEA. As you know, the integrity of IDEA depends on a strong public >> school system. Nominee DeVos is best-known for her championing of >> vouchers for parents to send their children to private schools. Mrs. >> DeVos has testified she will uphold the integrity of IDEA and the >> public schools. >> >> >> >> Your Legislative Committee urges you, no matter which side of an >> issue you may be on, to communicate with your Senators and >> Representatives on issues of importance to you and to take part in >> visits to the Hill whenever possible. There will be such an >> opportunity just prior to the next AFB Leadership conference in March. >> >> >> >> Anthony R. Candela >> >> Co-Chair, AER Legislative Committee >> >> Rehabilitation Administrator/Consultant >> >> (510) 912-0969 >> >> >> >> ____________________________________________________________ >> Warning: Don't Use Probiotics Before You See This Gundry MD >> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5891c1156bb5a41153397st01duc > > > _______________________________________________ > Legiscom mailing list > Legiscom@lists.aerbvi.org > http://lists.aerbvi.org/mailman/listinfo/legiscom_lists.aerbvi.org _______________________________________________ Legiscom mailing list Legiscom@lists.aerbvi.org http://lists.aerbvi.org/mailman/listinfo/legiscom_lists.aerbvi.org -- Confidentiality Notice: This email, including attachments is for the sole use of the recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use or disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and destroy all copies of the original message.
LT
Lou Tutt
Wed, Feb 1, 2017 2:34 PM

Tony and Matt,

Let me know the dates and times you want to meet with the members of the AER
Legislative Committee, Joe and me, and as your staff liaison to the
Legislative Committee, I will get the Call-in and Pass Code numbers to you!

Thanks,

Lou

[...]

Tony and Matt, Let me know the dates and times you want to meet with the members of the AER Legislative Committee, Joe and me, and as your staff liaison to the Legislative Committee, I will get the Call-in and Pass Code numbers to you! Thanks, Lou -----Original Message----- From: Legiscom [mailto:legiscom-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org] On Behalf Of Bernadette Kappen Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 9:21 AM To: John Mascia; Anthony Candela Cc: legiscom@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: Re: [Legiscom] FW: [AERNet] Secretary of Education Nomination Hi Tony: We should meet to discuss this. Bernadette -----Original Message----- From: Legiscom [mailto:legiscom-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org] On Behalf Of John Mascia Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 9:17 AM To: Anthony Candela Cc: legiscom@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: Re: [Legiscom] FW: [AERNet] Secretary of Education Nomination I think we should meet. The question about learning the desire of the membership is important. I do think that one of the most important responsibilities of any organization is to have a way of galvanizing the voice of individuals so that there is strength in numbers. Sent from my iPhone > On Feb 1, 2017, at 8:13 AM, Anthony Candela <acandela@juno.com> wrote: > > See below FYI. Just yesterday Matt and I talked about calling a meeting, asking AER President Joe Catavero to join us. We are not used to coming out with strong recommendations nor do we have a regular and reliable way of gauging member opinion, so I've followed our Committee's agreement about current strategy: exhort members to voice their opinions to their representatives and visit the Hill when possible and state no polarized positions. If this approach which I chose to expose a little in my message to membership this morning is too weak, we will need committee, leadership, and board approval and probably a few more tools than we have at hand to be "stronger". > > Tony > > -----Original Message----- > From: Penny Reeder [mailto:penny.reeder@gmail.com] > Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 8:13 AM > To: Anthony Candela > Subject: Re: [AERNet] Secretary of Education Nomination > > Why -- in the name of all that AER stands for -- would AER not oppose > this disastrous nomination? This nominee stands opposed to all that > AER stands for ourselves and it is virtually certain that she would > reverse policies and approaches that have guaranteed children who are > blind and visually impaired a free, appropriate public education since > 1990 -- and even before that! > > Did you consult your members when you crafted such a weak response to what will be a disaster for children, families, and the field you work in should Devas be confirmed? > > I am personally and professionally and in every other way appalled! > > Sincerely, > Penny Reeder > >> On 2/1/17, Anthony Candela <acandela@juno.com> wrote: >> Yesterday, with a 12-11 vote, Betsy DeVos, President Trump's nominee >> to be the next Secretary of the federal Department of Education, was >> voted favorably out of the Senate HELP (Health, Education, Labor and >> Pensions) Committee and now advances to the Floor to the U.S. Senate >> for a final vote. >> Your AER Legislative Committee in an e-mail post to the Chair of the >> HELP Committee (Lamar Alexander) and its leading Democrat (Patty >> Murray) asked the Committee to ensure that Mrs. DeVos is committed to >> IDEA. As you know, the integrity of IDEA depends on a strong public >> school system. Nominee DeVos is best-known for her championing of >> vouchers for parents to send their children to private schools. Mrs. >> DeVos has testified she will uphold the integrity of IDEA and the >> public schools. >> >> >> >> Your Legislative Committee urges you, no matter which side of an >> issue you may be on, to communicate with your Senators and >> Representatives on issues of importance to you and to take part in >> visits to the Hill whenever possible. There will be such an >> opportunity just prior to the next AFB Leadership conference in March. >> >> >> >> Anthony R. Candela >> >> Co-Chair, AER Legislative Committee >> >> Rehabilitation Administrator/Consultant >> >> (510) 912-0969 >> >> >> >> ____________________________________________________________ >> Warning: Don't Use Probiotics Before You See This Gundry MD >> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5891c1156bb5a41153397st01duc > > > _______________________________________________ > Legiscom mailing list > Legiscom@lists.aerbvi.org > http://lists.aerbvi.org/mailman/listinfo/legiscom_lists.aerbvi.org _______________________________________________ Legiscom mailing list Legiscom@lists.aerbvi.org http://lists.aerbvi.org/mailman/listinfo/legiscom_lists.aerbvi.org -- Confidentiality Notice: This email, including attachments is for the sole use of the recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use or disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and destroy all copies of the original message. _______________________________________________ Legiscom mailing list Legiscom@lists.aerbvi.org http://lists.aerbvi.org/mailman/listinfo/legiscom_lists.aerbvi.org