Request from Ethiopia on mathematics and teachers: RE: BrlBOX

PA
Paul Ajuwon
Sat, Nov 11, 2017 3:10 PM

Good morning Susan and others:

Alemneh from Ambo University has identified a real problem in the education of the blind in Africa. A group of us actually brainstormed this particular issue at the 6th Africa Forum for the Blind in Kampala, Uganda in October of 2015.

It will take combined efforts and expertise between math and science experts like Susan and interested teachers of science/maths in Ethiopia (or any other country) to get such a project off the ground. The local teachers will need to first learn braille codes in science, math and computer. They can use such resource like the Hadley Institute for the Blind in U.S.A. that provides relatively inexpensive correspondence courses.

Second, these specialized subjects cannot be taught abstractly. Various low-, medium- and high-tech equipment (plus software)  must be purchased for functional instruction. A maintenance service plan is important, especially for the high-tech equipment for making graphs, charts, tables, etc.

Third, to make the program viable, trained teachers will need to earn extra salary incentives. This is often difficult in most countries because of teacher union regulations. So, getting the country’s consumer organisations involved is a good idea.

Fourth, I commend Susan for her initiatives in helping the Ethiopian university. It is also wonderful to note that Ambo University is willing to take up such a unique project. From what I know, most African universities are not so committed.

From: Susan Osterhaus [mailto:osterhauss@tsbvi.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2017 12:18 PM
To: Callie Brusegaard cbrusegaard@hotmail.com; Paul Ajuwon hscmltd@gmail.com
Cc: Intlglobal@lists.aerbvi.org
Subject: RE: [Intlglobal] BrlBOX

Hello Everyone,

I have received the following plea from Ethiopia. The focus is on starting a program at Ambo University to train mathematics teachers on how they can teach blind students mathematics. For similar (but still different) requests in the past, I have provided distance education webinars or gone in person when my schedule allowed. However, this request seems a bit more complicated, yet they appear to be better organized?

Has anyone done something similar? I have been in contact with Dr. Mani from India (CEO of ICEVI and author of Mathematics Made Easy, since we are working on another international math project. However, this request has a different focus.

Please advise, so that I can try to advise these people.

Best wishes,

Susan

Susan A Osterhaus

Statewide Mathematics Consultant