money to spend

SA
Scepaniak, Amy J
Tue, Mar 29, 2022 3:17 PM

I have some money to spend on materials.  What are your top 10 recommendations and must have for your university VI programs?

Thanks in advance!!

Amy J Scepaniak, M.S., COMS(r)/CLVT(r)
Deaf-Blind Program Coordinator
USD Center for Disabilities
NSU PO Box 991
1200 S. Jay ST
Aberdeen SD 57401
Amy.scepaniak@usd.edumailto:Amy.scepaniak@usd.edu
605-228-8742
[cid:image001.png@01D84356.2DEF3710][cid:image002.png@01D84356.2DEF3710][cid:image003.png@01D84356.2DEF3710][cid:image004.png@01D84356.2DEF3710]

I have some money to spend on materials. What are your top 10 recommendations and must have for your university VI programs? Thanks in advance!! Amy J Scepaniak, M.S., COMS(r)/CLVT(r) Deaf-Blind Program Coordinator USD Center for Disabilities NSU PO Box 991 1200 S. Jay ST Aberdeen SD 57401 Amy.scepaniak@usd.edu<mailto:Amy.scepaniak@usd.edu> 605-228-8742 [cid:image001.png@01D84356.2DEF3710][cid:image002.png@01D84356.2DEF3710][cid:image003.png@01D84356.2DEF3710][cid:image004.png@01D84356.2DEF3710]
FM
Frances Mary D'Andrea
Tue, Mar 29, 2022 3:40 PM

The first two things that come to mind are:
A Juliet braille embosser
A DBT subscription

My question is, though—is this primarily a virtual program or face-to-face? That will make a difference to the other 8 things! :)
—fm

On Mar 29, 2022, at 11:17 AM, Scepaniak, Amy J Amy.Scepaniak@usd.edu wrote:

I have some money to spend on materials.  What are your top 10 recommendations and must have for your university VI programs?

Thanks in advance!!

Amy J Scepaniak, M.S., COMS®/CLVT®
Deaf-Blind Program Coordinator
USD Center for Disabilities
NSU PO Box 991
1200 S. Jay ST
Aberdeen SD 57401
Amy.scepaniak@usd.edu mailto:Amy.scepaniak@usd.edu
605-228-8742
<image001.png><image002.png><image003.png><image004.png>

The first two things that come to mind are: A Juliet braille embosser A DBT subscription My question is, though—is this primarily a virtual program or face-to-face? That will make a difference to the other 8 things! :) —fm > On Mar 29, 2022, at 11:17 AM, Scepaniak, Amy J <Amy.Scepaniak@usd.edu> wrote: > > I have some money to spend on materials. What are your top 10 recommendations and must have for your university VI programs? > > Thanks in advance!! > > Amy J Scepaniak, M.S., COMS®/CLVT® > Deaf-Blind Program Coordinator > USD Center for Disabilities > NSU PO Box 991 > 1200 S. Jay ST > Aberdeen SD 57401 > Amy.scepaniak@usd.edu <mailto:Amy.scepaniak@usd.edu> > 605-228-8742 > <image001.png><image002.png><image003.png><image004.png> > > _______________________________________ > PersonnelPrep mailing list -- personnelprep@lists.aerbvi.org <mailto:personnelprep@lists.aerbvi.org> > To unsubscribe send an email to personnelprep-leave@lists.aerbvi.org <mailto:personnelprep-leave@lists.aerbvi.org>
krwa@verizon.net
Thu, Mar 31, 2022 1:18 PM

Dear Amy,

Over the years, I have used any unspent funds on the following;

--PIAF machine: to demonstrate and give students practice making tactile
graphics; make sure to also get the proper paper for the PIAF and the
special crayon pen it requires.

--Duxbury and embosser: to produce supplemental materials for the braille
classes that I mail out and to have them practice with it when they come to
campus.  Also get the braille paper for the type of embosser purchased.

--JAWS licenses: I previously purchased JAWS licenses on dongles that we
could mail out to students.  Now my university provides free JAWS to any of
our students

--Training modules: contracted with some other experts to develop training
modules to supplement our courses.  For example. We contracted with a CATIS
who made extra self-paced modules for JAWS and Voiceover for our students to
work through.  She did a great job and the modules are posted on a
Blackboard organization I created just for extra helpful materials, lessons
and modules.

--I am now having a eye doctor create new modules for our anatomy of the eye
part of the Medical/Educational Implications course my students take.

I also buy braillers on a regular basis, so we add one or two each year to
update our inventory if I have unspent funds.

I also purchased some of the curricula and materials from APH, Mangold, etc
as needed when funding was available.

Kim

I have some money to spend on materials.  What are your top 10
recommendations and must have for your university VI programs?

Thanks in advance!!

Amy J Scepaniak, M.S., COMSR/CLVTR

Deaf-Blind Program Coordinator

USD Center for Disabilities

NSU PO Box 991

1200 S. Jay ST

Aberdeen SD 57401

Amy.scepaniak@usd.edu mailto:Amy.scepaniak@usd.edu

605-228-8742

Dear Amy, Over the years, I have used any unspent funds on the following; --PIAF machine: to demonstrate and give students practice making tactile graphics; make sure to also get the proper paper for the PIAF and the special crayon pen it requires. --Duxbury and embosser: to produce supplemental materials for the braille classes that I mail out and to have them practice with it when they come to campus. Also get the braille paper for the type of embosser purchased. --JAWS licenses: I previously purchased JAWS licenses on dongles that we could mail out to students. Now my university provides free JAWS to any of our students --Training modules: contracted with some other experts to develop training modules to supplement our courses. For example. We contracted with a CATIS who made extra self-paced modules for JAWS and Voiceover for our students to work through. She did a great job and the modules are posted on a Blackboard organization I created just for extra helpful materials, lessons and modules. --I am now having a eye doctor create new modules for our anatomy of the eye part of the Medical/Educational Implications course my students take. I also buy braillers on a regular basis, so we add one or two each year to update our inventory if I have unspent funds. I also purchased some of the curricula and materials from APH, Mangold, etc as needed when funding was available. Kim From: Scepaniak, Amy J <Amy.Scepaniak@usd.edu> Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2022 11:17 AM To: AER personnel prep (personnelprep@lists.aerbvi.org) <personnelprep@lists.aerbvi.org> Subject: [Personnelprep] money to spend I have some money to spend on materials. What are your top 10 recommendations and must have for your university VI programs? Thanks in advance!! Amy J Scepaniak, M.S., COMSR/CLVTR Deaf-Blind Program Coordinator USD Center for Disabilities NSU PO Box 991 1200 S. Jay ST Aberdeen SD 57401 Amy.scepaniak@usd.edu <mailto:Amy.scepaniak@usd.edu> 605-228-8742