aernet@lists.aerbvi.org

AERNet General Discussion Listserv

View all threads

QUESTION! Dyslexia (reading disability) in students with B/VI

CE
Carol Evans
Sun, Oct 17, 2021 4:10 PM

Looking for input from TVIs about students who are blind or have low vision
who struggle with reading development:

This question applies to both braille and print readers.

  1. What led you to suspect that your students may have a reading disability?

  2. How are your students identified with reading disability?

  3. What interventions have you used?  What have you found helpful?

Please feel free to reply on the list, or if you prefer, back channel.

Thanks for your willingness to share ...

carol

--
Carol Evans, PhD
Consultant, Project TVISP, University of Utah

http://www.myschoolpsychology.com/disability-information/visual-impairments/
http://www.myschoolpsychology.com/disability-information/visual-impairments/

Looking for input from TVIs about students who are blind or have low vision who struggle with reading development: This question applies to both braille and print readers. 1. What led you to suspect that your students may have a reading disability? 2. How are your students identified with reading disability? 3. What interventions have you used? What have you found helpful? Please feel free to reply on the list, or if you prefer, back channel. Thanks for your willingness to share ... carol -- Carol Evans, PhD Consultant, Project TVISP, University of Utah School Psychologist (Retired/Available for Consultation and Training) Former Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments (TVI) Mobile: 801.949.0230 *http://www.aph.org/accessible-tests/position-papers/intelligence-testing/full/ <http://www.aph.org/accessible-tests/position-papers/intelligence-testing/full/>* *http://www.myschoolpsychology.com/disability-information/visual-impairments/ <http://www.myschoolpsychology.com/disability-information/visual-impairments/>*
annaswenson6@gmail.com
Mon, Oct 18, 2021 1:26 PM

Hello, Carol,

I worked with number of students with both vision and learning disabilities over the course of my career.  My answers to your questions below can be found in my book, Beginning with Braille: Firsthand Experiences with a Balanced Approach to Literacy (2nd edition), pp 275-281.  Several of my students with severe phonological processing difficulties benefited from the Wilson Reading System, which is available in braille from APH Press.  Training is recommended before using this program.

In the case of a child with low vision or blindness who receives appropriate instruction but is not learning to read as expected, the TVI must serve as the advocate for the student.  Too often, the rest of the IEP team attributes the delays to the visual impairment or the “difficulty” of learning braille.  It is the TVI’s responsibility to help school staff understand that a child with a visual impairment may also have a learning disability and to request further assessments and intervention.

Thank you for raising this important issue,

Anna

[...]

Hello, Carol, I worked with number of students with both vision and learning disabilities over the course of my career. My answers to your questions below can be found in my book, Beginning with Braille: Firsthand Experiences with a Balanced Approach to Literacy (2nd edition), pp 275-281. Several of my students with severe phonological processing difficulties benefited from the Wilson Reading System, which is available in braille from APH Press. Training is recommended before using this program. In the case of a child with low vision or blindness who receives appropriate instruction but is not learning to read as expected, the TVI must serve as the advocate for the student. Too often, the rest of the IEP team attributes the delays to the visual impairment or the “difficulty” of learning braille. It is the TVI’s responsibility to help school staff understand that a child with a visual impairment may also have a learning disability and to request further assessments and intervention. Thank you for raising this important issue, Anna From: Carol Evans <visionpsych@gmail.com> Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2021 12:11 PM To: aernet@lists.aerbvi.org [aernet@lists.aerbvi.org] <aernet@lists.aerbvi.org> Subject: [AERNet] QUESTION! Dyslexia (reading disability) in students with B/VI Looking for input from TVIs about students who are blind or have low vision who struggle with reading development: This question applies to both braille and print readers. 1. What led you to suspect that your students may have a reading disability? 2. How are your students identified with reading disability? 3. What interventions have you used? What have you found helpful? Please feel free to reply on the list, or if you prefer, back channel. Thanks for your willingness to share ... carol -- Carol Evans, PhD Consultant, Project TVISP, University of Utah School Psychologist (Retired/Available for Consultation and Training) Former Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments (TVI) Mobile: 801.949.0230 http://www.aph.org/accessible-tests/position-papers/intelligence-testing/full/ http://www.myschoolpsychology.com/disability-information/visual-impairments/
CE
Carol Evans
Mon, Oct 18, 2021 5:36 PM

Thanks so much, Anna!  I'm ordering your book from Amazon now.  I'm in a
time crunch for this information, so I hope it gets here soon.

carol

Thanks so much, Anna! I'm ordering your book from Amazon now. I'm in a time crunch for this information, so I hope it gets here soon. carol On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 7:26 AM <annaswenson6@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Carol, > > I worked with number of students with both vision and learning > disabilities over the course of my career. My answers to your questions > below can be found in my book, *Beginning with Braille: Firsthand > Experiences with a Balanced Approach to Literacy* (2nd edition), pp > 275-281. Several of my students with severe phonological processing > difficulties benefited from the Wilson Reading System, which is available > in braille from APH Press. Training is recommended before using this > program. > > > > In the case of a child with low vision or blindness who receives > appropriate instruction but is not learning to read as expected, the TVI > must serve as the advocate for the student. Too often, the rest of the IEP > team attributes the delays to the visual impairment or the “difficulty” of > learning braille. It is the TVI’s responsibility to help school staff > understand that a child with a visual impairment may also have a learning > disability and to request further assessments and intervention. > > > > Thank you for raising this important issue, > > Anna > > > > *From:* Carol Evans <visionpsych@gmail.com> > *Sent:* Sunday, October 17, 2021 12:11 PM > *To:* aernet@lists.aerbvi.org [aernet@lists.aerbvi.org] < > aernet@lists.aerbvi.org> > *Subject:* [AERNet] QUESTION! Dyslexia (reading disability) in students > with B/VI > > > > Looking for input from TVIs about students who are blind or have low > vision who struggle with reading development: > > > > This question applies to both braille and print readers. > > > > 1. What led you to suspect that your students may have a reading > disability? > > > > 2. How are your students identified with reading disability? > > > > 3. What interventions have you used? What have you found helpful? > > Please feel free to reply on the list, or if you prefer, back channel. > > > > Thanks for your willingness to share ... > > > > carol > > > > > > -- > > Carol Evans, PhD > > Consultant, Project TVISP, University of Utah > > School Psychologist (Retired/Available for Consultation and Training) > > Former Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments (TVI) > > Mobile: 801.949.0230 > *http://www.aph.org/accessible-tests/position-papers/intelligence-testing/full/ > <http://www.aph.org/accessible-tests/position-papers/intelligence-testing/full/>* > > *http://www.myschoolpsychology.com/disability-information/visual-impairments/ > <http://www.myschoolpsychology.com/disability-information/visual-impairments/>* > > > -- Carol Evans, PhD Consultant, Project TVISP, University of Utah School Psychologist (Retired/Available for Consultation and Training) Former Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments (TVI) Mobile: 801.949.0230 *http://www.aph.org/accessible-tests/position-papers/intelligence-testing/full/ <http://www.aph.org/accessible-tests/position-papers/intelligence-testing/full/>* *http://www.myschoolpsychology.com/disability-information/visual-impairments/ <http://www.myschoolpsychology.com/disability-information/visual-impairments/>*