Need for IEEs

AC
Anne Corn
Mon, May 1, 2023 1:01 AM

Hi All,

In recent years I’ve been working with families who are having difficulties with schools, IEPs, placements, and so forth. It’s a great job for a retiree and I am hoping to interest others in doing this type of work. Usually I’m called by a lawyer and then I will review school documents, medical reports, visit the family, observe in the school, and then write a report. These reports can be lengthy as they give an overall picture of what the child is experiencing in school, their needs, and recommendations for changes to the set of services and/or for a change of placement. Because the parents have already contacted a lawyer, they are in need of an outside evaluator who can give an opinion.

The problem is I’m hearing of too many families needing this type of help. Just this week I heard from 3 families and a lawyer. I choose to work with only one family at a time. I am interested to know if anyone else is doing this type of work so I can make referrals. I am also interested in sharing information about doing this type of work with anyone who is interested in becoming involved.

As a retiree it is ideal because you can pick and choose how much work you wish to do, it is on your own timeframe, and it is a great way to use accumulated knowledge. Because of the visits and observations, those of us who are retired are available during the days to travel to a site and work during the day.

Please respond to me privately. Anne123C@gmail.com

Anne

[...]
krwa@verizon.net
Tue, May 2, 2023 9:07 PM

Back when I was a contractor, I did IEEs prior to taking my position at the University.  There are certainly cases needing attention and students who simply need another opinion to help the IEP teams make informed decisions.    However, I also knew many cases that needed assistance, but the parents had no idea how to work with this process, could not afford a lawyer/advocate, and more.  Some of the cases that were being referred to me were also concerning, not in how the school conducted their FVLMAs, but for other reasons.  I wrote an article called "Ten Lessons Learned as an Independent Educational Evaluator" but never published it because I transitioned to personnel prep and there can be conflicts of interest.

Serving as an Independent Educational Evaluator did better shape my understanding of how biases work in our field because I did get cases that were very concerning.  And I turned down multiple requests for all different reasons.
I can share more, but am not going to post it on a listserv that AER publishes online, but definitely it was an "eye opening" experience and fueled my passion for making sure our TBVIs are better equipped to conduct assessments that address students' needs.
Kim

-----Original Message-----
From: Anne Corn anne123c@gmail.com
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2023 9:02 PM
To: personnelprep@lists.aerbvi.org
Subject: [Personnelprep] Need for IEEs

[...]

Back when I was a contractor, I did IEEs prior to taking my position at the University. There are certainly cases needing attention and students who simply need another opinion to help the IEP teams make informed decisions. However, I also knew many cases that needed assistance, but the parents had no idea how to work with this process, could not afford a lawyer/advocate, and more. Some of the cases that were being referred to me were also concerning, not in how the school conducted their FVLMAs, but for other reasons. I wrote an article called "Ten Lessons Learned as an Independent Educational Evaluator" but never published it because I transitioned to personnel prep and there can be conflicts of interest. Serving as an Independent Educational Evaluator did better shape my understanding of how biases work in our field because I did get cases that were very concerning. And I turned down multiple requests for all different reasons. I can share more, but am not going to post it on a listserv that AER publishes online, but definitely it was an "eye opening" experience and fueled my passion for making sure our TBVIs are better equipped to conduct assessments that address students' needs. Kim -----Original Message----- From: Anne Corn <anne123c@gmail.com> Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2023 9:02 PM To: personnelprep@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: [Personnelprep] Need for IEEs Hi All, In recent years I’ve been working with families who are having difficulties with schools, IEPs, placements, and so forth. It’s a great job for a retiree and I am hoping to interest others in doing this type of work. Usually I’m called by a lawyer and then I will review school documents, medical reports, visit the family, observe in the school, and then write a report. These reports can be lengthy as they give an overall picture of what the child is experiencing in school, their needs, and recommendations for changes to the set of services and/or for a change of placement. Because the parents have already contacted a lawyer, they are in need of an outside evaluator who can give an opinion. The problem is I’m hearing of too many families needing this type of help. Just this week I heard from 3 families and a lawyer. I choose to work with only one family at a time. I am interested to know if anyone else is doing this type of work so I can make referrals. I am also interested in sharing information about doing this type of work with anyone who is interested in becoming involved. As a retiree it is ideal because you can pick and choose how much work you wish to do, it is on your own timeframe, and it is a great way to use accumulated knowledge. Because of the visits and observations, those of us who are retired are available during the days to travel to a site and work during the day. Please respond to me privately. Anne123C@gmail.com Anne _______________________________________ PersonnelPrep mailing list -- personnelprep@lists.aerbvi.org To unsubscribe send an email to personnelprep-leave@lists.aerbvi.org