admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org

AER Adminstration Division Listserv (Div 1)

View all threads

Let's get this Admin List moving!!!

SP
Sylvia Perez
Tue, Oct 26, 2010 5:45 PM

Hello,

I joined the AER Admin list serve a few months ago and haven't seen much
on here at all, so after talking to Anisio Correa (Admin. Chair) and
Laura Brown (immediate past chair) I have agreed to get some "chatter"
going on the list serve.  According to a 2009 survey, Admin division
members wanted a way to network and communicate about challenges and
just to get information and support.  So, I'll be posting some topics
and ask you all to join in and reply-share your wisdom.  Many of you
have been in the field of Vision Education and Rehabilitation for many
years and worked in a variety of capacities, so share your wisdom.

Here's our first topic-and by the way, feel free to throw a topic
/question out here yourself.

"What is the biggest challenge you have as an administrator?"

Sylvia

Sylvia Stinson-Perez

Executive Director

sperez@lvib.org

www.lvib.org http://www.lvib.org

Join us on FaceBook at:

http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus
http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus

Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org

Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind

Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus

Pasco

8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668

Phone: 727-815-0303  FAX: 727-815-0203

Brooksville

6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604

Phone: 352-754-1132  FAX: 352-754-5118

The mission of the Lighthouse is to

provide blind and visually impaired persons

with the skills needed to

achieve their maximum independence.

The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched

But are felt with the heart.

Helen Keller

Hello, I joined the AER Admin list serve a few months ago and haven't seen much on here at all, so after talking to Anisio Correa (Admin. Chair) and Laura Brown (immediate past chair) I have agreed to get some "chatter" going on the list serve. According to a 2009 survey, Admin division members wanted a way to network and communicate about challenges and just to get information and support. So, I'll be posting some topics and ask you all to join in and reply-share your wisdom. Many of you have been in the field of Vision Education and Rehabilitation for many years and worked in a variety of capacities, so share your wisdom. Here's our first topic-and by the way, feel free to throw a topic /question out here yourself. "What is the biggest challenge you have as an administrator?" Sylvia Sylvia Stinson-Perez Executive Director sperez@lvib.org www.lvib.org <http://www.lvib.org> Join us on FaceBook at: http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus <http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus> Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus Pasco 8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668 Phone: 727-815-0303 FAX: 727-815-0203 Brooksville 6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604 Phone: 352-754-1132 FAX: 352-754-5118 The mission of the Lighthouse is to provide blind and visually impaired persons with the skills needed to achieve their maximum independence. The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched But are felt with the heart. Helen Keller
LB
LauraC Brown
Tue, Oct 26, 2010 7:12 PM

Thanks, Sylvia, for getting this list moving!

To answer your question, "What is the biggest challenge you have as an
Administrator?", I'd have to say finding the time to get everything done
that needs to be done.  Everything seems to be a top priority and it's
sometimes hard to know which way to turn first.

Any pearls of wisdom from anyone?

Laura Brown

Thanks, Sylvia, for getting this list moving! To answer your question, "What is the biggest challenge you have as an Administrator?", I'd have to say finding the time to get everything done that needs to be done. Everything seems to be a top priority and it's sometimes hard to know which way to turn first. Any pearls of wisdom from anyone? Laura Brown
MG
Michael.Gandy@mdrs.state.ms.us
Tue, Oct 26, 2010 7:23 PM

Upward elegation.  It certainly seems to work for my staff.

Michael J. Gandy, Ed.D., CRC
Director
Office of Vocational Rehabilitation for the Blind
Mississippi Department of Rehabilitation Services

         "LauraC Brown"
         <LauraC.Brown@sdh
         c.k12.fl.us>                                               To
         Sent by:                  SPerez@lvib.org
         admindiv-bounces@                                          cc
         lists.aerbvi.org          admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org
                                                               Subject
                                   Re: [Admindiv] Let's get this Admin
         10/26/2010 02:13          List moving!!!
         PM

Thanks, Sylvia, for getting this list moving!

To answer your question, "What is the biggest challenge you have as an
Administrator?", I'd have to say finding the time to get everything done
that needs to be done.  Everything seems to be a top priority and it's
sometimes hard to know which way to turn first.

Any pearls of wisdom from anyone?

Laura Brown _______________________________________________
Admindiv mailing list
Admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org

--

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this email and/or document(s) attached is for the exclusive use of the individual named above and may contain confidential, privileged and non-disclosable information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this e-mail or its contents in any way. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify me immediately.

Upward elegation. It certainly seems to work for my staff. Michael J. Gandy, Ed.D., CRC Director Office of Vocational Rehabilitation for the Blind Mississippi Department of Rehabilitation Services "LauraC Brown" <LauraC.Brown@sdh c.k12.fl.us> To Sent by: SPerez@lvib.org admindiv-bounces@ cc lists.aerbvi.org admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org Subject Re: [Admindiv] Let's get this Admin 10/26/2010 02:13 List moving!!! PM Thanks, Sylvia, for getting this list moving! To answer your question, "What is the biggest challenge you have as an Administrator?", I'd have to say finding the time to get everything done that needs to be done. Everything seems to be a top priority and it's sometimes hard to know which way to turn first. Any pearls of wisdom from anyone? Laura Brown _______________________________________________ Admindiv mailing list Admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org http://lists.aerbvi.org/mailman/listinfo/admindiv_lists.aerbvi.org -- _____________________________________________________ Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this email and/or document(s) attached is for the exclusive use of the individual named above and may contain confidential, privileged and non-disclosable information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this e-mail or its contents in any way. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify me immediately.
ML
Mark Lucas
Tue, Oct 26, 2010 7:37 PM

Kudos to Sylvia for kick starting the Adm list-serve.

"What is the biggest challenge you have as an administrator?" It is to
generate the additional revenue to move the strategic plan forward.

Mark A. Lucas, M.S.
Executive Director
U.S. Association of Blind Athletes
33 N. Institute Street
Colorado Springs, CO  80903
719.630.0422
719.630.0616 f
www.usaba.org
mlucas@usaba.org

Follow USABA Facebook
<http://http:/www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/United-States-Association-o
f-Blind-Athletes/115311768519523>  Twitter http://www.twitter.com/USABA1

http://www.lvib.org www.lvib.org

Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org

Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind

Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus

Pasco

8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668

Phone: 727-815-0303  FAX: 727-815-0203

Brooksville

6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604

Phone: 352-754-1132  FAX: 352-754-5118

The mission of the Lighthouse is to

provide blind and visually impaired persons

with the skills needed to

achieve their maximum independence.

The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched

But are felt with the heart.

Helen Keller

Kudos to Sylvia for kick starting the Adm list-serve. "What is the biggest challenge you have as an administrator?" It is to generate the additional revenue to move the strategic plan forward. Mark A. Lucas, M.S. Executive Director U.S. Association of Blind Athletes 33 N. Institute Street Colorado Springs, CO 80903 719.630.0422 719.630.0616 f www.usaba.org mlucas@usaba.org Follow USABA Facebook <http://http:/www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/United-States-Association-o f-Blind-Athletes/115311768519523> Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/USABA1> _____ From: admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org [mailto:admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org] On Behalf Of Sylvia Perez Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 11:45 AM To: admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: [Admindiv] Let's get this Admin List moving!!! Importance: High Hello, I joined the AER Admin list serve a few months ago and haven't seen much on here at all, so after talking to Anisio Correa (Admin. Chair) and Laura Brown (immediate past chair) I have agreed to get some "chatter" going on the list serve. According to a 2009 survey, Admin division members wanted a way to network and communicate about challenges and just to get information and support. So, I'll be posting some topics and ask you all to join in and reply-share your wisdom. Many of you have been in the field of Vision Education and Rehabilitation for many years and worked in a variety of capacities, so share your wisdom. Here's our first topic-and by the way, feel free to throw a topic /question out here yourself. "What is the biggest challenge you have as an administrator?" Sylvia Sylvia Stinson-Perez Executive Director sperez@lvib.org <http://www.lvib.org> www.lvib.org Join us on FaceBook at: <http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus> http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus Pasco 8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668 Phone: 727-815-0303 FAX: 727-815-0203 Brooksville 6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604 Phone: 352-754-1132 FAX: 352-754-5118 The mission of the Lighthouse is to provide blind and visually impaired persons with the skills needed to achieve their maximum independence. The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched But are felt with the heart. Helen Keller
LM
Lynn Murphy
Tue, Oct 26, 2010 7:44 PM

Hello All,

This is a great way to support each other in moving the field forward.
Thanks for starting this!  My biggest challenge, at least at the moment
is changing a mindset that is based on the way the things have always
been done to that of thinking out of the box to provide for the needs of
all students.

Lynn Murphy

Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org

Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind

Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus

Pasco

8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668

Phone: 727-815-0303  FAX: 727-815-0203

Brooksville

6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604

Phone: 352-754-1132  FAX: 352-754-5118

The mission of the Lighthouse is to

provide blind and visually impaired persons

with the skills needed to

achieve their maximum independence.

The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched

But are felt with the heart.

Helen Keller

Hello All, This is a great way to support each other in moving the field forward. Thanks for starting this! My biggest challenge, at least at the moment is changing a mindset that is based on the way the things have always been done to that of thinking out of the box to provide for the needs of all students. Lynn Murphy ________________________________ From: admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org [mailto:admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org] On Behalf Of Mark Lucas Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:38 PM To: 'Sylvia Perez'; admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: Re: [Admindiv] Let's get this Admin List moving!!! Kudos to Sylvia for kick starting the Adm list-serve. "What is the biggest challenge you have as an administrator?" It is to generate the additional revenue to move the strategic plan forward. Mark A. Lucas, M.S. Executive Director U.S. Association of Blind Athletes 33 N. Institute Street Colorado Springs, CO 80903 719.630.0422 719.630.0616 f www.usaba.org mlucas@usaba.org Follow USABA Facebook <http://http:/www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/United-States-Associati on-of-Blind-Athletes/115311768519523> Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/USABA1> ________________________________ From: admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org [mailto:admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org] On Behalf Of Sylvia Perez Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 11:45 AM To: admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: [Admindiv] Let's get this Admin List moving!!! Importance: High Hello, I joined the AER Admin list serve a few months ago and haven't seen much on here at all, so after talking to Anisio Correa (Admin. Chair) and Laura Brown (immediate past chair) I have agreed to get some "chatter" going on the list serve. According to a 2009 survey, Admin division members wanted a way to network and communicate about challenges and just to get information and support. So, I'll be posting some topics and ask you all to join in and reply-share your wisdom. Many of you have been in the field of Vision Education and Rehabilitation for many years and worked in a variety of capacities, so share your wisdom. Here's our first topic-and by the way, feel free to throw a topic /question out here yourself. "What is the biggest challenge you have as an administrator?" Sylvia Sylvia Stinson-Perez Executive Director sperez@lvib.org www.lvib.org <http://www.lvib.org> Join us on FaceBook at: http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus <http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus> Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus Pasco 8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668 Phone: 727-815-0303 FAX: 727-815-0203 Brooksville 6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604 Phone: 352-754-1132 FAX: 352-754-5118 The mission of the Lighthouse is to provide blind and visually impaired persons with the skills needed to achieve their maximum independence. The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched But are felt with the heart. Helen Keller
NM
Nancy Miller
Tue, Oct 26, 2010 9:19 PM

Funding
Government cutbacks and elimination of contracts
Foundation and corporate grant eliminated
Donor Fatigue; decrease in individual giving
Interest rates down

A perfect storm with this sluggish economy

from Nancy M

Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org

Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind

Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus

Pasco

8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668

Phone: 727-815-0303   FAX: 727-815-0203

Brooksville

6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604

Phone: 352-754-1132   FAX: 352-754-5118

The mission of the Lighthouse is to

provide blind and visually impaired persons

with the skills needed to

achieve their maximum independence.

The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched

But are felt with the heart.

Helen Keller<unknown.gif>

<image001.jpg><image002.gif>___________________________________________

Admindiv mailing list
Admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org

Funding Government cutbacks and elimination of contracts Foundation and corporate grant eliminated Donor Fatigue; decrease in individual giving Interest rates down A perfect storm with this sluggish economy from Nancy M On Oct 26, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Sylvia Perez wrote: > > “What is the biggest challenge you have as an administrator?” > >   > > Sylvia > >   > > Sylvia Stinson-Perez > > Executive Director > > sperez@lvib.org > > www.lvib.org > >   > >   > > Join us on FaceBook at:  > > http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus > >   > > Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org > >   > > Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind > > Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus > >   > >   > > Pasco > > 8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668 > > Phone: 727-815-0303   FAX: 727-815-0203 > >   > > Brooksville > > 6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604 > > Phone: 352-754-1132   FAX: 352-754-5118 > >   > >   > > The mission of the Lighthouse is to > > provide blind and visually impaired persons > > with the skills needed to > > achieve their maximum independence. > >   > >   > > The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched > > But are felt with the heart.  > >   > >   > > Helen Keller<unknown.gif> >   > > <image001.jpg><image002.gif>___________________________________________ > ____ > Admindiv mailing list > Admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org > http://lists.aerbvi.org/mailman/listinfo/admindiv_lists.aerbvi.org
ML
Mark Lucas
Tue, Oct 26, 2010 9:24 PM

Does anyone know if stimulus federal grants are still available and if so
how to go about finding?

Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org

Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind

Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus

Pasco

8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668

Phone: 727-815-0303  FAX: 727-815-0203

Brooksville

6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604

Phone: 352-754-1132  FAX: 352-754-5118

The mission of the Lighthouse is to

provide blind and visually impaired persons

with the skills needed to

achieve their maximum independence.

The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched

But are felt with the heart.

Helen Keller<unknown.gif>

<image001.jpg><image002.gif>_______________________________________________
Admindiv mailing list
Admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org

Does anyone know if stimulus federal grants are still available and if so how to go about finding? Mark A. Lucas, M.S. Executive Director U.S. Association of Blind Athletes 33 N. Institute Street Colorado Springs, CO 80903 719.630.0422 719.630.0616 f www.usaba.org mlucas@usaba.org Follow USABA Facebook <http://http:/www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/United-States-Association-o f-Blind-Athletes/115311768519523> Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/USABA1> _____ From: admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org [mailto:admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org] On Behalf Of Nancy Miller Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:19 PM To: Sylvia Perez Cc: admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: Re: [Admindiv] Let's get this Admin List moving!!! Funding Government cutbacks and elimination of contracts Foundation and corporate grant eliminated Donor Fatigue; decrease in individual giving Interest rates down A perfect storm with this sluggish economy from Nancy M On Oct 26, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Sylvia Perez wrote: "What is the biggest challenge you have as an administrator?" Sylvia Sylvia Stinson-Perez Executive Director sperez@lvib.org www.lvib.org Join us on FaceBook at: http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus Pasco 8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668 Phone: 727-815-0303 FAX: 727-815-0203 Brooksville 6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604 Phone: 352-754-1132 FAX: 352-754-5118 The mission of the Lighthouse is to provide blind and visually impaired persons with the skills needed to achieve their maximum independence. The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched But are felt with the heart. Helen Keller<unknown.gif> <image001.jpg><image002.gif>_______________________________________________ Admindiv mailing list Admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org http://lists.aerbvi.org/mailman/listinfo/admindiv_lists.aerbvi.org
AC
Anisio Correia
Tue, Oct 26, 2010 9:34 PM

All,

If I had to pick only one challenge (or perhaps frustration) it is the fact that, despite so many years of hard work and even some creativity, we as a field have not gotten very far in terms of significantly improving employment opportunities for people who are blind and visually impaired.

Anisio Correia
Vice President for Programs
Center for the Visually Impaired
Atlanta, Georgia

Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org

Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind

Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus

Pasco

8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668

Phone: 727-815-0303  FAX: 727-815-0203

Brooksville

6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604

Phone: 352-754-1132  FAX: 352-754-5118

The mission of the Lighthouse is to

provide blind and visually impaired persons

with the skills needed to

achieve their maximum independence.

The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched

But are felt with the heart.

Helen Keller<unknown.gif>

<image001.jpg><image002.gif>_______________________________________________
Admindiv mailing list
Admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org

All, If I had to pick only one challenge (or perhaps frustration) it is the fact that, despite so many years of hard work and even some creativity, we as a field have not gotten very far in terms of significantly improving employment opportunities for people who are blind and visually impaired. Anisio Correia Vice President for Programs Center for the Visually Impaired Atlanta, Georgia From: admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org [mailto:admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org] On Behalf Of Nancy Miller Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:19 PM To: Sylvia Perez Cc: admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: Re: [Admindiv] Let's get this Admin List moving!!! Funding Government cutbacks and elimination of contracts Foundation and corporate grant eliminated Donor Fatigue; decrease in individual giving Interest rates down A perfect storm with this sluggish economy from Nancy M On Oct 26, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Sylvia Perez wrote: "What is the biggest challenge you have as an administrator?" Sylvia Sylvia Stinson-Perez Executive Director sperez@lvib.org www.lvib.org<http://www.lvib.org> Join us on FaceBook at: http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus Pasco 8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668 Phone: 727-815-0303 FAX: 727-815-0203 Brooksville 6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604 Phone: 352-754-1132 FAX: 352-754-5118 The mission of the Lighthouse is to provide blind and visually impaired persons with the skills needed to achieve their maximum independence. The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched But are felt with the heart. Helen Keller<unknown.gif> <image001.jpg><image002.gif>_______________________________________________ Admindiv mailing list Admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org http://lists.aerbvi.org/mailman/listinfo/admindiv_lists.aerbvi.org
JP
Jeanne Prickett
Tue, Oct 26, 2010 10:01 PM

Mark, stimulus funding had a very limited life.  Much of it had to be requested either through a state’s department of education or a Governor’s discretionary ARRA funding.  There may be some, but the majority of it is to be expended by June or so.  We got some from the Governor of Iowa, with very specific constraints on it, and had to spend it last fiscal year very rapidly.  We had the projects ready to go and it funded those (upgrades to student residences—fire safety sprinklers).

Jeanne

Jeanne Glidden Prickett, EdD
Superintendent
Iowa School for the Deaf
3501 Harry Langdon Boulevard
Council Bluffs, IA  51503

712.366.0571 voice/tty
712.366.3218 fax

This e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communication Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521 , and is confidential.  In addition, any student related information contained in this e-mail (including attachments) is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1994.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you have received this message in error, then delete it.  Thank you.

Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org

Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind

Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus

Pasco

8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668

Phone: 727-815-0303  FAX: 727-815-0203

Brooksville

6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604

Phone: 352-754-1132  FAX: 352-754-5118

The mission of the Lighthouse is to

provide blind and visually impaired persons

with the skills needed to

achieve their maximum independence.

The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched

But are felt with the heart.

Helen Keller<unknown.gif>

<image001.jpg><image002.gif>_______________________________________________
Admindiv mailing list
Admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org

Admindiv mailing list
Admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org

This e-mail (including any attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communication Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510 & 2521, and is confidential.  In addition, any student related information contained in this e-mail (including any attachments) is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1994.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you have received this message in error and then delete it.  Thank you.

Mark, stimulus funding had a very limited life. Much of it had to be requested either through a state’s department of education or a Governor’s discretionary ARRA funding. There may be some, but the majority of it is to be expended by June or so. We got some from the Governor of Iowa, with very specific constraints on it, and had to spend it last fiscal year very rapidly. We had the projects ready to go and it funded those (upgrades to student residences—fire safety sprinklers). Jeanne Jeanne Glidden Prickett, EdD Superintendent Iowa School for the Deaf 3501 Harry Langdon Boulevard Council Bluffs, IA 51503 712.366.0571 voice/tty 712.366.3218 fax This e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communication Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521 , and is confidential. In addition, any student related information contained in this e-mail (including attachments) is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1994. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received this message in error, then delete it. Thank you. ________________________________ From: Mark Lucas <mlucas@usaba.org> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:24:39 -0600 To: <admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org> Subject: Re: [Admindiv] Let's get this Admin List moving!!! Does anyone know if stimulus federal grants are still available and if so how to go about finding? Mark A. Lucas, M.S. Executive Director U.S. Association of Blind Athletes 33 N. Institute Street Colorado Springs, CO 80903 719.630.0422 719.630.0616 f www.usaba.org mlucas@usaba.org Follow USABA Facebook <http://http:/www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/United-States-Association-of-Blind-Athletes/115311768519523> Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/USABA1> ________________________________ From: admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org [mailto:admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org] On Behalf Of Nancy Miller Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:19 PM To: Sylvia Perez Cc: admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: Re: [Admindiv] Let's get this Admin List moving!!! Funding Government cutbacks and elimination of contracts Foundation and corporate grant eliminated Donor Fatigue; decrease in individual giving Interest rates down A perfect storm with this sluggish economy from Nancy M On Oct 26, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Sylvia Perez wrote: “What is the biggest challenge you have as an administrator?” Sylvia Sylvia Stinson-Perez Executive Director sperez@lvib.org www.lvib.org Join us on FaceBook at: http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus Pasco 8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668 Phone: 727-815-0303 FAX: 727-815-0203 Brooksville 6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604 Phone: 352-754-1132 FAX: 352-754-5118 The mission of the Lighthouse is to provide blind and visually impaired persons with the skills needed to achieve their maximum independence. The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched But are felt with the heart. Helen Keller<unknown.gif> <image001.jpg><image002.gif>_______________________________________________ Admindiv mailing list Admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org http://lists.aerbvi.org/mailman/listinfo/admindiv_lists.aerbvi.org ________________________________ _______________________________________________ Admindiv mailing list Admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org http://lists.aerbvi.org/mailman/listinfo/admindiv_lists.aerbvi.org This e-mail (including any attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communication Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510 & 2521, and is confidential. In addition, any student related information contained in this e-mail (including any attachments) is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1994. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received this message in error and then delete it. Thank you.
MW
Mike Walsh
Wed, Oct 27, 2010 12:18 PM

Thanks to Sylvia and to all who have responded so far.  I didn't realize
how much a few simple one- or two-line responses would offer in
encouragement and a sense of "common ground."

For me, the biggest challenge is determining how to develop programs and
services to reach more people in an environment of fiscal restraint.
Some of the new funding opportunities are very exciting, but come with
significant "strings."  Determining the risk-reward equation is
challenging, especially  when there is a very quick turn-around for a
new funding proposal.

Mike Walsh, vice president, program services

Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired

7000 Hamilton Avenue

Cincinnati, OH 45231

513.728.6226

513.728.3946 (fax)

clovernook.org

Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org

Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind

Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus

Pasco

8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668

Phone: 727-815-0303  FAX: 727-815-0203

Brooksville

6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604

Phone: 352-754-1132  FAX: 352-754-5118

The mission of the Lighthouse is to

provide blind and visually impaired persons

with the skills needed to

achieve their maximum independence.

The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched

But are felt with the heart.

Helen Keller

Thanks to Sylvia and to all who have responded so far. I didn't realize how much a few simple one- or two-line responses would offer in encouragement and a sense of "common ground." For me, the biggest challenge is determining how to develop programs and services to reach more people in an environment of fiscal restraint. Some of the new funding opportunities are very exciting, but come with significant "strings." Determining the risk-reward equation is challenging, especially when there is a very quick turn-around for a new funding proposal. Mike Walsh, vice president, program services Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired 7000 Hamilton Avenue Cincinnati, OH 45231 513.728.6226 513.728.3946 (fax) clovernook.org ________________________________ From: admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org [mailto:admindiv-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org] On Behalf Of Sylvia Perez Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:45 PM To: admindiv@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: [Admindiv] Let's get this Admin List moving!!! Importance: High Hello, I joined the AER Admin list serve a few months ago and haven't seen much on here at all, so after talking to Anisio Correa (Admin. Chair) and Laura Brown (immediate past chair) I have agreed to get some "chatter" going on the list serve. According to a 2009 survey, Admin division members wanted a way to network and communicate about challenges and just to get information and support. So, I'll be posting some topics and ask you all to join in and reply-share your wisdom. Many of you have been in the field of Vision Education and Rehabilitation for many years and worked in a variety of capacities, so share your wisdom. Here's our first topic-and by the way, feel free to throw a topic /question out here yourself. "What is the biggest challenge you have as an administrator?" Sylvia Sylvia Stinson-Perez Executive Director sperez@lvib.org www.lvib.org <http://www.lvib.org> Join us on FaceBook at: http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus <http://www.facebook.com/LighthousefortheV.I.Pasco.Hernando.Citrus> Enjoy my BLOG at blog.lighthouse-pasco.org Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind Serving Pasco, Hernando and Citrus Pasco 8610 Galen Wilson Blvd., Port Richey, Fl. 34668 Phone: 727-815-0303 FAX: 727-815-0203 Brooksville 6492 California Road, Brooksville, Fl. 34604 Phone: 352-754-1132 FAX: 352-754-5118 The mission of the Lighthouse is to provide blind and visually impaired persons with the skills needed to achieve their maximum independence. The most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched But are felt with the heart. Helen Keller