Fwd: Low Vision University Standards

KL
Kelly Lusk
Fri, Nov 3, 2017 11:22 AM

A reminder: If you have comments regarding the proposed standards
(attached) for low vision university programs from the AER University
Review Committee, please send them to wienerw@gmail.com. The URC would like
any remaining comments by November 15, 2017.

From Bill Wiener:

I am writing to you as Chair of the University Review Committee of AER and
also as one of the Committee Members of the AER National Accreditation
Council.  AER has administered a university review and approval process for
the areas of TVI, O&M, and VRT for many years.  Now that more universities
are offering Low Vision as a degree or a certificate, we are moving to
review those programs as well.  The University Review Committee has written
a set of standards that we hope to use for review of low vision university
programs.  We would like to gain the input from the AER Low Vision Division
to help us finalize the standards.

As you may know, AER will be subsuming the accreditation process formerly
administered by the National Accreditation Council.  Therefore the review
of the Low Vision Standards will come under the auspices of this new
Council of AER once  they are approved.

Please share these proposed standards with the Low Vision Division and
invite comments from your members.  These comments should be sent to:
wienerw@gmail.com

Thank you for your help on this important matter.

Bill

--

In Truth and Service,

William Wiener, Ph.D.

Brenda Brodie Endowed Chair
Room 2105, H.M. Michaux, jr. Building
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
School of Education
North Carolina Central University
Telephone: (919) 530-7175

--
Kelly E. Lusk, Ph.D.
drkellylusk@gmail.com

Please make sure you have drkellylusk@gmail.com for my email address as
kelly.lusk@alumni.vanderbilt.edu will NO LONGER WORK after October 31,
2017. Thank you!

A reminder: If you have comments regarding the proposed standards (attached) for low vision university programs from the AER University Review Committee, please send them to wienerw@gmail.com. The URC would like any remaining comments by November 15, 2017. >From Bill Wiener: I am writing to you as Chair of the University Review Committee of AER and also as one of the Committee Members of the AER National Accreditation Council. AER has administered a university review and approval process for the areas of TVI, O&M, and VRT for many years. Now that more universities are offering Low Vision as a degree or a certificate, we are moving to review those programs as well. The University Review Committee has written a set of standards that we hope to use for review of low vision university programs. We would like to gain the input from the AER Low Vision Division to help us finalize the standards. As you may know, AER will be subsuming the accreditation process formerly administered by the National Accreditation Council. Therefore the review of the Low Vision Standards will come under the auspices of this new Council of AER once they are approved. Please share these proposed standards with the Low Vision Division and invite comments from your members. These comments should be sent to: wienerw@gmail.com Thank you for your help on this important matter. Bill -- In Truth and Service, William Wiener, Ph.D. Brenda Brodie Endowed Chair Room 2105, H.M. Michaux, jr. Building Department of Curriculum and Instruction School of Education North Carolina Central University Telephone: (919) 530-7175 -- Kelly E. Lusk, Ph.D. drkellylusk@gmail.com 615-305-7835 ***Please make sure you have drkellylusk@gmail.com for my email address as kelly.lusk@alumni.vanderbilt.edu will NO LONGER WORK after October 31, 2017. Thank you!***
SW
Steve Whittaker
Tue, Nov 7, 2017 2:46 AM

Hi Kelly,

Here are my comments.  Sorry I missed your earlier email.  This has been happing more and more lately.  I feel that the accreditation standards should include not only “provision of education” but also accommodation for the prior education of other professionals such as occupational therapists, physical therapists, nurses, social workers, educators and other vision rehabilitation professionals.

A reminder: If you have comments regarding the proposed standards (attached) for low vision university programs from the AER University Review Committee, please send them to wienerw@gmail.com. The URC would like any remaining comments by November 15, 2017.

From Bill Wiener:

[...]

Telephone: (919) 530-7175 tel:(919)%20530-7175

--

Kelly E. Lusk, Ph.D.

drkellylusk@gmail.com

615-305-7835

Please make sure you have drkellylusk@gmail.com for my email address as kelly.lusk@alumni.vanderbilt.edu will NO LONGER WORK after October 31, 2017. Thank you!

Hi Kelly, Here are my comments. Sorry I missed your earlier email. This has been happing more and more lately. I feel that the accreditation standards should include not only “provision of education” but also accommodation for the prior education of other professionals such as occupational therapists, physical therapists, nurses, social workers, educators and other vision rehabilitation professionals. From: AER-div07 [mailto:aer-div07-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Lusk Sent: Friday, November 3, 2017 7:22 AM To: aer-div07@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: [Aer-div07] Fwd: Low Vision University Standards A reminder: If you have comments regarding the proposed standards (attached) for low vision university programs from the AER University Review Committee, please send them to wienerw@gmail.com. The URC would like any remaining comments by November 15, 2017. >From Bill Wiener: I am writing to you as Chair of the University Review Committee of AER and also as one of the Committee Members of the AER National Accreditation Council. AER has administered a university review and approval process for the areas of TVI, O&M, and VRT for many years. Now that more universities are offering Low Vision as a degree or a certificate, we are moving to review those programs as well. The University Review Committee has written a set of standards that we hope to use for review of low vision university programs. We would like to gain the input from the AER Low Vision Division to help us finalize the standards. As you may know, AER will be subsuming the accreditation process formerly administered by the National Accreditation Council. Therefore the review of the Low Vision Standards will come under the auspices of this new Council of AER once they are approved. Please share these proposed standards with the Low Vision Division and invite comments from your members. These comments should be sent to: wienerw@gmail.com Thank you for your help on this important matter. Bill -- In Truth and Service, William Wiener, Ph.D. Brenda Brodie Endowed Chair Room 2105, H.M. Michaux, jr. Building Department of Curriculum and Instruction School of Education North Carolina Central University Telephone: (919) 530-7175 <tel:(919)%20530-7175> -- Kelly E. Lusk, Ph.D. drkellylusk@gmail.com 615-305-7835 ***Please make sure you have drkellylusk@gmail.com for my email address as kelly.lusk@alumni.vanderbilt.edu will NO LONGER WORK after October 31, 2017. Thank you!***
MM
Moon, Marla
Sun, Nov 12, 2017 10:53 PM

Kelly

Thank you for forwarding this proposed document for review.  Below are my comments to be considered for change/inclusion as follows:

  • Under I - Knowledge of Visual System

    Should include "Normal Vision Development" and "Abnormal Vision Development" - should include for all ages (include kids)

    It is possible that the above could be incorporated into Section II - Knowledge of the Impact of Disease, Trauma, and Aging on the Visual System" - need to make sure that kids vision development and common conditions found in that population is included as well - whether it is in Section I or II - no real difference as long as it is in there.

  • Under VII - d - The basis for referral to other vision rehab professionals - I see NO mention of OPTOMETRY - which is  he #1 provider of professional eye care services.  Please add.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments on the above recommendations/comments for inclusion.  I assume that an additional circulation of this document with the revisions will occur as well.

MLM

Marla L. Moon, O.D., F.A.A.O.

Director - Vision Rehabilitation Center

Nittany Eye Associates

428 Windmere Drive

State College, PA  16801

814-234-2015

Here are my comments.  Sorry I missed your earlier email.  This has been happing more and more lately.  I feel that the accreditation standards should include not only “provision of education” but also accommodation for the prior education of other professionals such as occupational therapists, physical therapists, nurses, social workers, educators and other vision rehabilitation professionals.

A reminder: If you have comments regarding the proposed standards (attached) for low vision university programs from the AER University Review Committee, please send them to wienerw@gmail.commailto:wienerw@gmail.com. The URC would like any remaining comments by November 15, 2017.

From Bill Wiener:

Please share these proposed standards with the Low Vision Division and invite comments from your members.  These comments should be sent to:  wienerw@gmail.commailto:wienerw@gmail.com

Thank you for your help on this important matter.

Bill

--

In Truth and Service,

William Wiener, Ph.D.

Brenda Brodie Endowed Chair
Room 2105, H.M. Michaux, jr. Building
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
School of Education
North Carolina Central University
Telephone: (919) 530-7175tel:(919)%20530-7175

--

Kelly E. Lusk, Ph.D.

drkellylusk@gmail.commailto:drkellylusk@gmail.com

615-305-7835

Please make sure you have drkellylusk@gmail.commailto:drkellylusk@gmail.com for my email address as kelly.lusk@alumni.vanderbilt.edumailto:kelly.lusk@alumni.vanderbilt.edu will NO LONGER WORK after October 31, 2017. Thank you!

Kelly Thank you for forwarding this proposed document for review. Below are my comments to be considered for change/inclusion as follows: * Under I - Knowledge of Visual System Should include "Normal Vision Development" and "Abnormal Vision Development" - should include for all ages (include kids) It is possible that the above could be incorporated into Section II - Knowledge of the Impact of Disease, Trauma, and Aging on the Visual System" - need to make sure that kids vision development and common conditions found in that population is included as well - whether it is in Section I or II - no real difference as long as it is in there. * Under VII - d - The basis for referral to other vision rehab professionals - I see NO mention of OPTOMETRY - which is he #1 provider of professional eye care services. Please add. Let me know if you have any questions or comments on the above recommendations/comments for inclusion. I assume that an additional circulation of this document with the revisions will occur as well. MLM Marla L. Moon, O.D., F.A.A.O. Director - Vision Rehabilitation Center Nittany Eye Associates 428 Windmere Drive State College, PA 16801 814-234-2015 ________________________________ From: AER-div07 <aer-div07-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org> on behalf of Steve Whittaker <stephengwhittaker@verizon.net> Sent: Monday, November 6, 2017 9:46:04 PM To: kelly.lusk@alumni.vanderbilt.edu; aer-div07@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: Re: [Aer-div07] Fwd: Low Vision University Standards Hi Kelly, Here are my comments. Sorry I missed your earlier email. This has been happing more and more lately. I feel that the accreditation standards should include not only “provision of education” but also accommodation for the prior education of other professionals such as occupational therapists, physical therapists, nurses, social workers, educators and other vision rehabilitation professionals. From: AER-div07 [mailto:aer-div07-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Lusk Sent: Friday, November 3, 2017 7:22 AM To: aer-div07@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: [Aer-div07] Fwd: Low Vision University Standards A reminder: If you have comments regarding the proposed standards (attached) for low vision university programs from the AER University Review Committee, please send them to wienerw@gmail.com<mailto:wienerw@gmail.com>. The URC would like any remaining comments by November 15, 2017. >From Bill Wiener: I am writing to you as Chair of the University Review Committee of AER and also as one of the Committee Members of the AER National Accreditation Council. AER has administered a university review and approval process for the areas of TVI, O&M, and VRT for many years. Now that more universities are offering Low Vision as a degree or a certificate, we are moving to review those programs as well. The University Review Committee has written a set of standards that we hope to use for review of low vision university programs. We would like to gain the input from the AER Low Vision Division to help us finalize the standards. As you may know, AER will be subsuming the accreditation process formerly administered by the National Accreditation Council. Therefore the review of the Low Vision Standards will come under the auspices of this new Council of AER once they are approved. Please share these proposed standards with the Low Vision Division and invite comments from your members. These comments should be sent to: wienerw@gmail.com<mailto:wienerw@gmail.com> Thank you for your help on this important matter. Bill -- In Truth and Service, William Wiener, Ph.D. Brenda Brodie Endowed Chair Room 2105, H.M. Michaux, jr. Building Department of Curriculum and Instruction School of Education North Carolina Central University Telephone: (919) 530-7175<tel:(919)%20530-7175> -- Kelly E. Lusk, Ph.D. drkellylusk@gmail.com<mailto:drkellylusk@gmail.com> 615-305-7835 ***Please make sure you have drkellylusk@gmail.com<mailto:drkellylusk@gmail.com> for my email address as kelly.lusk@alumni.vanderbilt.edu<mailto:kelly.lusk@alumni.vanderbilt.edu> will NO LONGER WORK after October 31, 2017. Thank you!***
CR
Cheryl Reed
Sun, Nov 12, 2017 11:34 PM

Please add presbyopia under aging changes.  Also include understanding of multifocal lens designs and add powers and implications for reading, both with and without additional magnifying devices.  (For example, many of my patients are prescribed high add bifocals or progressives and they do not know or are unable to use them effectively.  The correct add power is also critical when viewing a computer monitor, tablet or CCTV.)

Cheryl J. Reed, O.D., COMS
Director, Judith A. Read Low Vision Services
United Disability Services
701 S. Main Street
Akron, OH 44311
(330) 762-9755 ext. 235
(330) 996-4181 (Fax)

Sign up for our latest e-news at www.udsakron.org
Like us on Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/UnitedDisabilityServices?ref=hl

A reminder: If you have comments regarding the proposed standards (attached) for low vision university programs from the AER University Review Committee, please send them to wienerw@gmail.commailto:wienerw@gmail.com. The URC would like any remaining comments by November 15, 2017.

From Bill Wiener:

[...]

Please add presbyopia under aging changes. Also include understanding of multifocal lens designs and add powers and implications for reading, both with and without additional magnifying devices. (For example, many of my patients are prescribed high add bifocals or progressives and they do not know or are unable to use them effectively. The correct add power is also critical when viewing a computer monitor, tablet or CCTV.) Cheryl J. Reed, O.D., COMS Director, Judith A. Read Low Vision Services United Disability Services 701 S. Main Street Akron, OH 44311 (330) 762-9755 ext. 235 (330) 996-4181 (Fax) Sign up for our latest e-news at www.udsakron.org Like us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/UnitedDisabilityServices?ref=hl> [cid:image003.png@01D13415.38F3BBB0] From: AER-div07 [mailto:aer-div07-bounces@lists.aerbvi.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Lusk Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 7:22 AM To: aer-div07@lists.aerbvi.org Subject: [Aer-div07] Fwd: Low Vision University Standards A reminder: If you have comments regarding the proposed standards (attached) for low vision university programs from the AER University Review Committee, please send them to wienerw@gmail.com<mailto:wienerw@gmail.com>. The URC would like any remaining comments by November 15, 2017. From Bill Wiener: I am writing to you as Chair of the University Review Committee of AER and also as one of the Committee Members of the AER National Accreditation Council. AER has administered a university review and approval process for the areas of TVI, O&M, and VRT for many years. Now that more universities are offering Low Vision as a degree or a certificate, we are moving to review those programs as well. The University Review Committee has written a set of standards that we hope to use for review of low vision university programs. We would like to gain the input from the AER Low Vision Division to help us finalize the standards. As you may know, AER will be subsuming the accreditation process formerly administered by the National Accreditation Council. Therefore the review of the Low Vision Standards will come under the auspices of this new Council of AER once they are approved. Please share these proposed standards with the Low Vision Division and invite comments from your members. These comments should be sent to: wienerw@gmail.com<mailto:wienerw@gmail.com> Thank you for your help on this important matter. Bill -- In Truth and Service, William Wiener, Ph.D. Brenda Brodie Endowed Chair Room 2105, H.M. Michaux, jr. Building Department of Curriculum and Instruction School of Education North Carolina Central University Telephone: (919) 530-7175<tel:(919)%20530-7175> -- Kelly E. Lusk, Ph.D. drkellylusk@gmail.com<mailto:drkellylusk@gmail.com> 615-305-7835 ***Please make sure you have drkellylusk@gmail.com<mailto:drkellylusk@gmail.com> for my email address as kelly.lusk@alumni.vanderbilt.edu<mailto:kelly.lusk@alumni.vanderbilt.edu> will NO LONGER WORK after October 31, 2017. Thank you!***